Short Film: Development And Analysis

Checking Out Locations And Preparing For The Shoot

Early on Friday 11th March myself and the rest of the crew – Mick, Alex, Jake and Rich – travelled down to our locations from Coventry to assess how best to shoot the film on the Saturday and Sunday. We wanted to be absolutely sure how we wanted to go about filming when we were with the actors so Jake and Alex (our camera operator and director of photography) practiced the shots we were going to use, Rich (our sound engineer) tested sound quality, and myself and Mick planned out how we were going to travel to suit our economical needs and timed how long it would take to travel from location to location. By doing this we ensured that everything went accordingly when we were with our professional actors; we wanted to make a good impression!

Checking Out Regents Park

When we reached London Mick parked the car at Cockfosters station and from there we took the tube to our first location, Regents Park, where we planned the camera shots we wanted to use and assessed the area. From here we took the tube to our other locations: South Bank (London Eye and Millennium Bridge) and Liverpool street and arranged similar plans. We noticed a small cafe near the Tate Gallery and decided we would note this down as a possible place to stop for lunch when we were with the actors.

Travelling On The Tube

Once we had filled out our Recce Sheets and Risk Assessments for each location we made our way back to the car and then to the house in Hemel, where we would be filming our interior tent scene. Here we tested lighting, sound and adjusted the room to our needs, such as moving furniture and aligning the cameras so we were not seen in the mirrors etc. We set the lighting/set up ready for when we were there with the actors the following day so we would not be wasting time setting up equipment.

Preparing the Interior Props

We then packed the car with the equipment we would be needing in the morning: camera, boom pole, rifle mic, XLR, stopwatch, clapperboard, fully charged batteries, monitor and all our props for the actors.

Documentation

At each of the locations we filled out Recce Sheets and Risk Assessment Forms. This allowed us to be totally aware of any requirements, local conditions, viewpoints and hazards that could cause us problems should we encounter them during the shoot. By doing this we were confident in how to solve any such issues.

I’ve made a short video briefly showing the forms, they will also be handed in with the storyboard and final DVD/DV Tape on the deadline day (for the viewing of the module leaders).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s